Organized by The Goi Peace Foundation and UNESCO
Endorsed by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan
Japanese National Commission for UNESCO, Japan Broadcasting Corporation,
Nikkei Inc., Tokyo Metropolitan Board of Education
The United Nations has designated 2001-2010 as the “International Decade for a Culture of Peace and Non-Violence for the Children of the World” and 2005-2014 as the “United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development.” Additionally, 2010 celebrates the International Year of Youth as well as the International Year for the Rapprochement of Cultures. Young people are encouraged to participate in these global initiatives and play a leading role in promoting peace and understanding among all cultures.
Theme: “MY ROLE IN CREATING A PEACEFUL WORLD”
- Essay may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 30, 2010) in one of the following age categories; a) Children (ages up to 14) b) Youth (ages 15-25)
- Essays must be 800 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German; or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, typed or printed.
- Essays must have a cover page indicating (1) category (Children or Youth) (2) essay title (3) your name (4) mailing address (5) phone number (6) e-mail address (7) nationality (8) ages as of June 30, 2010 (9) sex (10) school name (if applicable) (11) word count. Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group. Please enclose a list of participants’ names and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director. (Entries missing any of the above will not be considered).
- Entries may be submitted by postal mail or e-mail. (Email entries must be in text or MS Word format, with the cover page and essay sent together as one document).
- Essays must be original and unpublished.
- Essay must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizers.
Deadline: Entries must be received by June 30, 2010.
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
|1st Prize:||Certificate and prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$1,000) … 1 entrant|
|2nd Prize:||Certificate and prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$500) … 2 entrants|
|3rd Prize:||Certificate and gift … 5 entrants|
|Honorable Mention:||Certificate and gift … 25 entrants|
* 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony in Tokyo, Japan scheduled for November 2010. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizers.)
** All prize winners will be announced in November 2010 on the Goi Peace Foundation web site (www.goipeace.or.jp) and UNESCO web site (www.unesco.org/youth).
Please send your entries to:
International Essay Contest c/o The Goi Peace Foundation
1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093 Japan
* We are unable to confirm receipt of individual essays.
Essay Contest 2010 Flyer (PDF)
Kandank Ilmu Team