Public Finance (2007)
Click here to download all slides.
Public Finance 8/e benefits from the combined efforts of Harvey Rosen’s market-leading book and new co-author Ted Gayer’s research and government agency experience. Ted recently served as a Senior Economist on the President’s Council of Economic Advisors and is currently a member of the EPA’s Science Advisory Board. Additionally, Rosen served on the President’s Council of Economics Advisers, 2003-2005, as a member and chairman. As a result, the 8th edition maintains the strengths of previous editions but is enhanced with new material and current examples from public finance literature and the policy world. It includes substantive changes that reflect the progress that has been made in the field of public finance. These changes may be divided into three categories: new organization, new material, and new pedagogical features. As with previous editions, the book continues to draw upon the latest research while never losing sight of the reality it is supposed to describe, always drawing the links between economic analysis and current political issues.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Click to download it in one zipped folder
PART 1 : GETTING STARTED
Chapter 1 : Introduction
Chapter 2 : Tools of Positive Analysis
Chapter 3 : Tools of Normative Analysis
PART 2 : PUBLIC EXPENDITURE: PUBLIC GOODS AND EXTERNALITIES
Chapter 4 : Public Goods
Chapter 5 : Externalities
Chapter 6 : Policital Economy
Chapter 7 : Education
Chapter 8 : Cost-Benefit Analysis
PART 3 : PUBLIC EXPENDITURE: SOCIAL INSURANCE AND INCOME MAINTENANCE
Chapter 9 : The Health Care Market
Chapter 10 : Government and the Market for Health Care
Chapter 11 : Social Security
Chapter 12 : Income Redistribution: Conceptual Issues
Chapter 13 : Expenditure Programs for the Poor
PART 4 : A FRAMEWORK FOR TAX ANALYSIS
Chapter 14 : Taxation and Income Distribution
Chapter 15 : Taxation and Efficiency
Chapter 16 : Efficient and Equitable Taxation
PART 5 : THE UNITED STATES REVENUE SYSTEM
Chapter 17: The Personal Income Tax
Chapter 18 : Personal Taxation and Behavior
Chapter 19 : The Corporation Tax
Chapter 20 : Deficit Finance
Chapter 21 : Fundamental Tax Reform: Taxes on Consumption and Wealth
PART 6 : MULTIGOVERNMENT PUBLIC FINANCE
Chapter 22 : Public Finance in a Federal System
- Contains discussion of cutting edge empirical tools (chapter 2) and integrates this material throughout the book when discussing empirical evidence of the effects of government programs and taxation
- Expanded coverage of social insurance, including: the economics of insurance markets, the pros and cons of government provision of insurance, an additional chapter on health markets, and more material on economics of Social Security system and reform. The Social Security material carefully explains the pros and cons of “privatization.”
- New partial text boxes that allow elaboration without sending a signal that it is separate from the rest of the text. Text boxes are labeled either Empirical Evidence or Policy Perspective.
- New chapter on education and expanded material on applications of externalities to environmental policy.
- Key term definitions are now included in the text margins.
Kandank Ilmu Thanks to:
Bagdja Muljarijadi, Ir., SE., M.E (Public Finance Lecturer @ FE UNPAD)